Cycling, for even a brief duration during the day – 20-30 minutes – works on the heart muscles, improves circulation and in the long run can cut stroke and heart attack risk.
New Delhi: Be it ‘90s kids or the generations that came before or after, cycling has always been the most popular leisure activities. And for some children, it was their ride to school, coaching classes and even for a visit to a friend’s place. At that tender age, little did we realise how the peddling would soon become the source of fitness, and now, longevity.
While the world of fitness is enriched with a plethora of fancy routines – from zumba to pilates and weight training – cycling continues to hold a precedence, and for good reason.
Wondering how a low-impact physical activity can add more years to your life? We’ll tell you.
- Lower risk of heart diseases: Peddling for even a brief duration during the day – 20-30 minutes – works on the heart muscles, improves circulation and in the long run can cut stroke and heart attack risk. According to the journal Circulation, regular cycling can lower heart disease risk by 15%.
- Diabetes not a threat: Type-1, Type-2 or gestational – the incidence and risk factor of diabetes across the world continues to be surprisingly high. However, cutting down on sugar intake isn’t the only way of keeping risk at bay. A few rounds around the block on your bike can also work wonders in reducing obesity, depression and diabetes risk. According to the findings published in European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition study – including 7000 diabetes patients – it was shown that regular cycling for a period of 5 years can lower early death risk by 35% from all causes.
- Shed extra kilos like a pro: Obesity and high BMI are to blame for a plethora of health issues. And being an aerobic activity, cycling puts your heart, lungs and blood vessels to work thereby raising need for oxygen and raising body temperature. As per the Harvard University, riding a bike at a speed of 12-13.9 miles per hour can help a person burn 298 calories in 30 minutes. And upon increasing the speed to 14-15.9 miles per hour, the rate of calorie loss increases to 372 calories per 30 minutes .Therefore, by peddling regularly for a few hours each day, you can cut your risk of deadly diseases that increase early death risk. All you need to do is put your feet to work for a minutes or hours every day.
To make the most of your daily cycling session, checkout these quick tips:
- Keep your body neutral and relaxed – from head to toe.
- Relax your shoulders and keep them away from the ears.
- Keep your forearms in a straight line – from shoulders to forearms and fingers.
- Keep your knees right above the pedal and avoid slouching.