The Avighna Tower fire broke out at 11.50 am today and intensified from Level 3 to Level 4 in a matter of an hour. The building is located at Currey Road opposite Lalbaug Market in Mumbai.
- Level 3 fire broke out at Avighna Park building located at Curry Road at 11.50 am
- The fire has intensified into Level 4 and 15 fire tenders are trying to douse the flames
Mumbai: One person died in a massive fire that broke out in a high-rise residential building in Mumbai’s Lalbaug area on Friday. The Mumbai Fire Brigade is carrying out search and rescue operations and trying to ascertain the cause of the fire.
According to reports, the fire brigade received a call about the fire in Avighna Park building located at Mahadev Palav Marg, Currey Road at 11.50 am.
As soon as the fire broke out, occupants of the 60-storey residential building were swiftly evacuated. The fire was initially reported to be Level 3 but quickly intensified into a Level 4.
Reportedly, a person jumped out from the 19th floor of the building to escape the fire and suffered grievous injuries. He has been rushed to a nearby hospital.
A 30-year-old resident, Arun Tiwari, died in the fire.
At least 15 fire tenders rushed to the spot and battled the conflagration, attempting to stop the flames from spreading to the higher floors, while Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar went and oversaw the rescue operations.
The cause of the blaze, tentatively believed to be due to a short-circuit, is being probed and the building reportedly has all fire-safety measures in place, said the residents.
Meanwhile, the builder of the building has confirmed that the fire was caused by a short circuit.
“One person has died and all other residents have been evacuated. There are 400 flats in the building. We have more than enough fire systems, were imported from Norway…fire drill was conducted recently…the fire has been caused due to a short circuit,” said Kailash Agarwal, the builder.
Present at the spot, Mumbai Mayor Kishori Pednekar told media that in one of the apartments on the 19th floor, repair work was going on and in initial findings, we can say it could be due to a short circuit on that floor.
“Builder is responsible for this as society has not been handed over yet. We will check the entire status of equipment. In these hi-fi buildings, they don’t allow BMC teams to go in and this is a reason such incidents happen,” she claimed.