The 12th round of Corps Commander-level talks between India and China concluded at 7.30 pm today. Indian Army sources said during the meeting, which lasts for close to nine hours, the two sides discussed ways to resolve the ongoing military standoff between India and China in the eastern Ladakh sector.
The meeting was held at Moldo on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
The purpose of these high-level military talks was to take forward the disengagement process in some friction areas in eastern Ladakh. This included the Hot Spring and Gogra post areas.
The latest round of talks is taking place after a gap of more than 3.5 months. The 11th round of military dialogue had taken place on April 9 at the Chushul border point on the Indian side of the LAC and it lasted for around 13 hours.
The 12th round of military talks is taking place over two weeks after External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar firmly conveyed to his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi that the prolongation of the existing situation in eastern Ladakh was visibly impacting the bilateral ties in a “negative manner”.
In his meeting with Wang Yi on the sidelines of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation’s foreign ministers’ meet on July 14, S Jaishankar said any unilateral change in the status quo along the LAC was “not acceptable” to India and that the overall ties can only develop after full restoration of peace and tranquillity in eastern Ladakh.
Sources say, prior to Saturday’s meeting, the Indian side has made it clear that it would agree for de-escalation only if it is simultaneous and withdrawal of troops is equal. Besides this, the measures should address mutual security concerns.
The two countries have been engaged in a military standoff for almost a year. However, the two sides disengaged from the most contentious Pangong Lake area last month after extensive talks at the military and political levels.