Bhopal fire: Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan expressed grief over the mishap and ordered a high-level probe into the incident.
Bhopal: At least four children were killed after a fire broke out at the children’s ward of Kamla Nehru Hospital in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh late Monday evening.
There were 40 children in the ward out of which 36 are safe, said Medical Education Minister Vishvas Sarang.
“Ex-gratia of Rs 4 lakh will be given to parents of each deceased,” the minister added.
Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan expressed grief over the mishap and ordered a high-level probe into the incident.
According to Fatehgarh Fire Station chief Juber Khan, the fire started on the third floor of the hospital building at around 9 pm. The third floor houses the ICU.
Khan said 8 to 10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. One of the hospital rooms was filled with smoke, the official said, adding a short-circuit may have caused the blaze.
Meanwhile, worried parents of children gathered outside the medical facility. While speaking to the media, one of them said, “We have no information of our children, it’s been 3-4 hours.”