India and China began the 12th round of Corps commander-level talks on Saturday in Moldo along LAC. The two sides are expected to discuss disengagement from Hot Springs and Gogra Heights.
The 12th round of military talks between India and China began on Saturday morning. India and China are expected to discuss the issue of disengagement from Hot Springs and Gogra.
The talks started at 10.30 am at the Moldo border point on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh.
The Indian delegation at Saturday’s talks is led by Lt Gen PGK Menon, the Commander of the Leh-based 14 Corps.
The latest Sino-India talks are taking place after a gap of over three and a half months.
Sources in the military establishment said India is hopeful of a positive outcome from the 12th round of Corps Commander talks in terms of disengagement in Hot Springs and Gogra.
India has been insisting that resolution of outstanding issues, including in Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra, is essential for overall ties between the two countries.
Earlier, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar had told his Chinese counterpart Wang Yi that the prolongation of the existing situation in eastern Ladakh was visibly impacting bilateral ties in a “negative manner”.
WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LAST ROUND OF SINO-INDIA TALKS?
The 11th round of military dialogue had taken place on April 9 at the Chushul border point on the Indian side of the LAC and it lasted for around 13 hours.
In the last round of military talks, both sides discussed ways to take forward the disengagement process in Hot Springs, Gogra and Depsang with a larger aim to bring down tensions in the region. However, there was no forward movement in the disengagement process from the Chinese side.
The border standoff between the Indian and Chinese militaries erupted in May last year following a violent clash in the Pangong lake area and both sides gradually enhanced their deployment by rushing in tens of thousands of soldiers as well as heavy weaponry.
As a result of a series of military and diplomatic talks, the two sides completed the withdrawal of troops and weapons from the North and South banks of Pangong lake in February in line with an agreement on disengagement.
Each side currently has around 50,000 to 60,000 troops along the LAC in the sensitive sector.